Aussie Farmers Direct has kindly sent us a $100 voucher to use at their new Aussie Farmers General Store, in which we were able to purchase any ingredients we wanted to create a tasty dish to share with you guys as well as our whole experience with the General Store and its offerings! And the special dish that we decided to create was a Grilled Fish & Fresh Asparagus Risotto.
The Aussie Farmers website was quite easy to navigate around and offers such a simple shopping process where all their items are neatly categorised so you can save a lot of time searching for specific products that you’re looking for. When you click into each category, there are photos of the items with clear prices specified underneath each photo and the product description (trust me, when you are shopping online and there are no photos, it just makes things more difficult!).
The Aussie Farmers General Store also strongly supports Australian food and grocery manufactures and offers a lot of locally-made products. We were quite surprised about the extensive offerings of product selection from famous, trusted brands with very reasonable prices at the new General Store – from household staples to pantry essentials.
Once we added all our wanted items into the cart, we simply just had to submit our order and the best part is that we were able to amend our order right up until noon of the day before our delivery so there will never be regrets if you made a mistake or simply just want to change your mind! Oh, and did we mention the main part is that it delivers straight to outside your door which makes it so much more convenient for all of our busy lives!
Overall, the General Store is just a great online alternative to physically shopping at big supermarkets and walking through aisles and aisles of products to find the right thing!
To experience this all yourself, make sure you visit https://shop.aussiefarmers.com.au/tgs/welcome/c/325/ to check out the new Aussie Farmers General Store!
To recreate the dish, here are the ingredients that we got from the Aussie Farmers Direct and the General Store:
- Sunrice Arborio Risotto Rice 750g
- Campbell’s Real Stock Chicken 250ml
- Anchor Bread Crumbs 750g
- Alba Grated Parmesan Cheese 250g
- Camperdown Dairy Butter (Unsalted) 250g
- Catch of the Week 400g (Fish)
- Curly Leaf Parsley
- Brown Onion
The recipe that we used to make the dish was inspired by Byron Talbott, if any of you guys are interested!
Overall Cooking Time: 90 minutes (approx.)
Asparagus Risotto (serves 2)
- 20g Butter
- ½ Tables spoon olive oil
- ½ Small onion, finely chopped
- 1.5 Garlic finely chopped
- 1 Cup of Arborio rice
- 2 Cups of hot chicken stock
- 2 Bunches of asparagus (remember to cut the woody ends out)
- 2 Tablespoons of Lemon juice
- ½ Cup chopped parsley leaves
- 1 Cup of water
- 1/3 Cup of Parmesan (optional)
- Heat oil and butter in a medium sized frypan on medium to low heat.
- Start to cook the onion and garlic until onions soften.
- Turn the heat to medium to high and add the rice then begin to stir all ingredients together.
- Start to add the hot stock progressively (about half a cup to one cup) and continuously stirring to allow each grain of rice to absorb before adding the next cup of hot stock.
- Add water if stock is all used up and you still haven’t reached your ideal risotto texture.
- Add the asparagus on the last cup of stock and then add 1/3 cup of Parmesan if you enjoy a creamy risotto or skip the Parmesan for a fresh and light twist to the risotto.
- To finish off, stir some chopped parsley into the risotto and add some lemon juice to enhance the freshness of the dish.
Herbed Bread Crumbs
- 1 Cup of Anchor breadcrumbs
- 1 Sprig of thyme chopped up
- 1 Sprig of parsley chopped up
- 1/3 Cup of basil leaves chopped up
- Mix 1 cup of breadcrumbs with chopped thyme, rosemary, parsley and basil.
- Pop it into the oven for roughly 5 minutes or until golden brown with a crisp.
- Any type of white fish
- 10g Butter
- 1 Sprig of thyme
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Table spoon of lemon juice
- Add oil and butter into a medium sized frypan and start to pop the fish onto the pan along with a sprig of thyme.
- Cook both sides for about 5-6 minutes or until golden brown and squeeze some fresh lemon juice on top before plating.
Now it’s finally time to plate the dish! Begin by putting a few spoonful of risotto onto the plate along with a few pieces of the crispy fish on top and sprinkle the breadcrumbs all over the fish to give it a crunch. Lastly, give the dish a last touch with some fresh basil leaves.